Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chastened

Clive Crook thinks that a) Democrats like me look down on stupid people and that b) stupid people resent that. I find it hard to argue.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f1984d88-7cd5-11dd-8d59-000077b07658.html

But honestly, my problem with the average American voter has nothing to do with values. I love guns, own a few myself. The pro-life/pro-choice debate to me seems personal and worthy of national discussion and consideration. I like the flag.

I just like rational thought. I like science. I believe in truth and justice.

Republicans like Palin will stand up all day long talking about how they stopped the Bridge to Nowhere, even when every objective source says that it is a lie. And yet they will keep repeating these lies, and voters don't always punish them for it. They like about every aspect of Iraq. They lie about the Justice Department, in spite of the irony. They lie about science in their EPA reports. And so far, voters seem to be saying "lie to me and kick me around, I love it!".

Maybe I could respect voters more if they actually believed in accountability.

No comments: