Sunday, August 10, 2008

Russia vs. Georgia

Here is a ludicrously simple question. If the US military cannot be used to defend a democratically elected government in Georgia, against a Russian invasion, then please, do tell me, just what the fuck is it for?

From a Georgian soldier, retreating: “Write exactly what I say,” he said. “Over the past few years, I lived in a democratic society. I was happy. And now America and the European Union are spitting on us.”

This is a country that had a democracy! We're not trying to build one there like in Iraq and Afghanistan, but it already exists! And we were going to let them join NATO. So we are in the enviable position of having the Russian invasion happen before they joined NATO. Because if it happened after we joined, we'd be obligated to go help them. Now we can throw them to the wolves, I mean bears.

No comments: